Sunday 13 January 2008


Perfect racing sky at goal on the last day....




Day 8
Last and final day…. Although 8th in yesterday I was 23rd overall in the day scores having taken the first window..!
With a light north easterly a crosswind then downwind dogleg was set at 134km. The lift early on was strong with 8up lift from 1pm onwards but the sink was equally strong and the clouds had not yet started to form. I waited for the second, and mandatory, start. Seconds before the clock I hit a 10up and made base just on the edge of the circle making for the perfect start. With the big boys in tow I raced off on course heading for the next good cloud…. Managed to core the next two climbs and stay ahead of most of the pack at a staggering pace.. Len Paton was close behind when I glided for the turnpoint 15k out from 8200’. We hit horrendous sink and ended up scrabbling around searching for lift for what seemed ages before taking a 1.5up at 200ft agl. Eventually we climbed out to take the turnpoint then headed back on course for goal some 60k away. We raced through the sink to the sunny ground and rocketed back up to 9600ft where the instruments said go for it…! I glided to 32k and topped up a few turns as I required a 15:1 glide but was only making 12:1. Again at 8km away I had run through a sink hole so topped up again in a dusty with two wedge tailed eagles for a fast glide into goal narrowly beating Trent Brown (again). Had it not been for the poor glide into the turnpoint I had a real chance of winning the task today… Oh well we live and learn! 44 people made goal today..! Lots of smiling faces!!

No comments: