Sunday 7 June 2009

French Nationals Competition

St Tropez is nice this time of year and the pace of life quite relaxed… A dip in the pool every now and then is welcome as the temperatures reach 30 celsius most days..!


I stayed with friends for a few days, needless to say I think they need help on a personal basis... The pics speak for themselves!

After a few days in the sun to recharge my cells I set off for the “Championnat De France” (French National Hang Gliding Championship). Later that evening I arrived at the competition area: St Hilaire, and soon found the North launch with breathtaking views and fine weather.

Naturally I searched out a lively bar first before even thinking about setting up camp for the night… and so, several hours and much Pastis later, I stumbled from the pub “Grange Au Loup”. Luckily for me I was fortunate enough to be offered a bed for the night from the local fireman which I gratefully accepted on the grounds that he didn’t try to give me the French interpretation of a fireman’s lift!


The next day arrived and brought the bad weather with it… Welcome to Hang Gliding! Grey skies and cloudbase below the hill… So much for the practise days I had planned. The comp starts officially on Sunday though it looks like the first flying will not be until Monday when the weather is due to improve… Another glorious night in a tent with broken sleep due to torrential rain, thunder and lightening. There was an expo in Grenoble for all types of sports today which we visited. They even had sailing and wind surfing in the car park via a huge temporary swimming pool..! again the weather played it's part and, as you can see, the whole event was a roaring success...

At the south take-off there is a 3-day Juggling convention and display with ethnic dancing and drinking. We visited the practice night last night! Tonight promises to be a riot!

No comments: